LOD Level(s)

• Hello,

While making buildings for my map I was wondering if there is an option to use more than 2 LOD levels (normal and LOD mesh), and even set the distance from the object when LOD model should be used instead of the normal one. (And what's the default distance? ?/) Are these possible? I haven't found anything about it in any Lexicon article, that's why I'm asking. (Neither in Content Tool)

• This feature is not really implemented yet; that's the reason why you will find nearly no information about it.

Until now, there are no more LOD levels planned, but I think, we will give you an option for the point, where the meshs will switch.

• This feature is not really implemented yet; that's the reason why you will find nearly no information about it.

Until now, there are no more LOD levels planned, but I think, we will give you an option for the point, where the meshs will switch.

So for now, I can't implement LOD to a single object? I mean I see the option in CT, but even if I link a LOD modell, nothing is happening, the LOD modell did not appear far from the object. (Used 2 test meshes with high contrast between their textures)

• BTW is there any way to set the distance when the model should change from normal to LOD? In the settings there's a default "0.2" value, but what is that in? Metres, kilometres, point of view or what?

• BTW is there any way to set the distance when the model should change from normal to LOD? In the settings there's a default "0.2" value, but what is that in? Metres, kilometres, point of view or what?

Probably the size percentage it takes up on the monitor.

I also think that meter based LODs should be implemented at some point, at least for 3-5 levels. Just having two LODs (a close highly detailed and a very low detailed) will put a lot of stress on the system, jumping the polygoncount very quickly and not gradually.

• jumping the polygoncount very quickly and not gradually

Please mind, that the polycount is not really the most important point concerning the performance! The drawcalls and the complexity of the materials is much more relevant.

Please mind, that the polycount is not really the most important point concerning the performance! The drawcalls and the complexity of the materials is much more relevant.

Figure of speech. You are correct, say drawcalls then. Still, it's no good as it is. Having heavy micro stutters on the Diorama, can't imagine how a complex map would perform.

Maybe even unloading the non-visible objects could cause it? I don't know how the rendering/object loading is handled, but it certainly needs heavy improvement and I think LODs could be of good use, if implemented well.

Also there is one more thing: A Lexicon article mentoined that it is recommended to use smaller textures for the LOD modell. But then there will be 2 different textures stored in the VRAM, won't be? (Original and the smaller LOD texture)

• Also there is one more thing: A Lexicon article mentoined that it is recommended to use smaller textures for the LOD modell. But then there will be 2 different textures stored in the VRAM, won't be? (Original and the smaller LOD texture)

Therefore I would recommend to use mipmap in dds textures;)

• Neu erstellte Beiträge unterliegen der Moderation und werden erst sichtbar, wenn sie durch einen Moderator geprüft und freigeschaltet wurden.

Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 60 Tage zurück. Das Thema ist womöglich bereits veraltet. Bitte erstellen Sie ggf. ein neues Thema.

Maximale Anzahl an Dateianhängen: 5
    Maximale Dateigröße: 500 kB
    Erlaubte Dateiendungen: bmp, cfg, ini, jpeg, jpg, lct, ldl, llg, lob, log, lpmtl, lptmt, ltx, pas, pdf, png, railtrack, rar, txt, veh, wav