Problems with the right lighting when exporting from 3d max.

• Good day! I came back with a serious problem. This time we will talk about the wrong coverage of models in LOTUS, which were exported from 3d max.

When exporting OZMT-17M noticed that the last section is very different in terms of lighting. That is, deployed looks.

When checking the Content-Tools tool, it was noticed that the last section is highlighted in blue and the others in green.

Now further the most interesting. I decided to conduct an experiment and sent the exterior parts of the OZMT-17M to Blender, and from there to the tools (Content-Tools). And what do you say? That's right, the lighting has become right. And then I checked the game, that is, I began to check the lighting at different times (6:00, 12:00 and 17:00). It will be even more interesting.

And now on. Time 17:00 and I added OZMT-18M (which was converted through 3d max). And what was required to prove, at OZMT-18M, the lighting was completely incorrectly displayed. But first screenshots of all this.

That is, it turns out that the model that was exported through Blender has the right lighting, as opposed to models that were exported via 3d max.

That is, above on the screenshots you can see someone's mistake. Either the game itself (in particular, the tool), or the export plug-in for 3D Max, or the 3D Max itself works by mistake, or the wrong settings are set.

Therefore, I would like to hear from developers, what exactly is the problem?

The problem is very serious, I still do not want this problem to be ignored.

• Someone who uses 3DSmax may help you with this. I can't, since we are using Blender only. Most likely it is still something from the article:

The import settings are wrong.
    The export settings in Blender are wrong.
    Within Blender there are objects with a global scale.

• In general, it is not really clear what kind of thing happens.

Let's start with the positive. I and my friends from the OZMT team made an experiment. My friend and I made the boxes, then exported from 3d max (each) to the .x3d format. After that, they converted it to LOTUS and the effect was positive. That is, the lighting was as it should be.

Screenshots below:

And then I gave a friend the body OZMT-17M, so that he converted through his 3d max. The result was also as I described above ..

That is, it turns out that this is still a problem with the mesh itself, rather than with 3d max and Content-Tools? And in general, how to fix it?

• In general, probably all that there is a problem with the plugin, which is used to export from 3D Max to Content-Tools. Although, tomorrow I will try to conduct several experiments, in particular, I will try to change the 3d max myself. That is, delete and reinstall.

By the way, I noticed today that a website with a .x3d format for 3D Max does not work. https://pp.userapi.com/c852120…547/fc976/U4eHcuxOdfo.jpg

And anyway, were there plans for this format to have official support from Autodesk?

• And anyway, were there plans for this format to have official support from Autodesk?

I guess not, Autodesk rely on their plugin creators.

We use this exporter: https://www.x3dom.org/document…tutorials/3ds-max-export/ . Although there is no new version of the plugin, the latest one is somehow compatible with newer 3ds Max versions.

I have two wild guess. Maybe there is something wrong with the normals or the material editor settings get also exported. These settings are not applicable to LOTUS.

Greets

• Regarding the normal - I will agree. I remembered that when exporting from Blender to LOTUS, if you do not tick the normals, then the model does not load into the tools. Part of the problem understood.

But after all, not even a mention in 3d max about the normals in the export setting. And how to be?

Material Editor Settings? Okay, and what should?

Understand, going to Blender is not an option. It is necessary to completely solve the problem, it is possible that this is just the answer to the question with the problem of harmonica animation. After all, everything works for Julian, as I understand it.

These are my export settings and material settings in the material editor:

https://pp.userapi.com/c855636…161/217cd/oMIaqr0BhAI.jpg

https://pp.userapi.com/c855636…161/217f5/3rmaXSzT1fk.jpg

https://pp.userapi.com/c855636…161/217ff/MReyiZVty60.jpg

https://pp.userapi.com/c855636…161/21809/8mPRLDwTnwY.jpg

https://pp.userapi.com/c855636…161/21813/nc-ir_HFVmA.jpg

https://pp.userapi.com/c855636…161/2181d/TPkGCZ0e_7o.jpg

• In general, I looked at the very first lesson from Julian and after that I did some experiments.

1. I re-saved the texture of the main body in .dds (DXT-3). After that, put on the model and exported to the tools. And what do we get? That's right, all the same result as before. Dark texture.

2. I am again purely a body, but already in the .dds format sent to Blender. Here he conducted two experiments. The file 710_1 was unchecked with the normal, and for the files 710_2 the check was normal. Bottom line: File 710_1 did not open as a result, and file 710_2 opened in the tools, and the lighting of the texture was already displayed correctly in the game.

The bottom line is:

Probably everything that I don’t know, but I’m not exporting the normal from 3d max to tools. When exporting from 3D Max to Blender with the .obj format, the normal is exported, since there is even a string. That is, therefore, I have a model when exporting "3D Max -> Blender -> Content-Tools" everything works fine, since in both cases there is NORMAL in EXPORT.

But something else surprises me, why then everything works fine for Julian ? And the body lighting is normal, and the harmonica animation. Maybe we do not know what he knows?

And further screenshots. First Julian from his video tutorial, and then mine. This is for comparison.

• I have another idea. Make trams in 3DS max export them from 3DS max than import them in blender than try to export them from blender. You don't need to make trams in blender. Use blender for texture correction by importing and exporting trams in and out blender just like you did with the second model. It's not LOTUS nor the content tool. It's 3Dshit Max working all incorrectly. Even devs who "made" this awful thing don't know why sometimes 3Ds max is screwing up with textures.

• I have another idea. Make trams in 3DS max export them from 3DS max than import them in blender than try to export them from blender.

The idea may be good, but few will use Blender as an intermediary. I use this because before that there was only a minor problem, but now it is large.

But! But no one knows what the problem is there. That is, if you export from 3D Max to Blender and then from Blender to LOTUS, then the models will have an incorrect grid.

For comparison:

Https://pp.userapi.com/c850336…81/127e2c/j8--zjP89Is.jpg

Https://pp.userapi.com/c850336…81/127e22/eYZfJe2Hc_s.jpg

That is, even in Blender itself, it is necessary to add an Edge modifier to each object (https://pp.userapi.com/c850336…81/127e3d/u0KIoynzzrQ.jpg). That is, it is necessary to add to each object, and these objects in the model are more than 50 pieces and this is the minimum.

read this

I'll see. If, of course, it really does limit the use of the Normal modifier, then that is good.

• Bravo, very commendable. Straight very dangerous comment. And stop, sure, it should be either in English or in German. That is, how to solve a problem - you merge right away, that you don’t know 3D Max, and how a commentary about the problem was written only in Russian - we delete it right away. Strange logic.

Who was interested, maybe he would have translated it himself.

And by the way, this is already the second serious problem related to 3D Max. Well, at least with the animation of the accordion cost and there is not particularly serious. And then the problem is bigger and for some reason no one here knows how to solve it. And stop, at Juliana everything works. Why about these decisions where it is not written? How should people do?

I’m not going to leave me alone, and I’ll drip into the brain on this problem, because it will solve two problems at once 100%. Yes, and I like this simulator, and I really want to solve it for more.

I personally do not need you to give up and just go to help me - I need to understand whether to wait for a solution to this problem or not. If not, then why wait?

In general, decide for yourself.

And even cooler, because of this problem - now it is impossible to paint OZMT-10.

• All is clear with you.

Reconsider the behavior? Well, I will reconsider my behavior. And what to change in general? Nothing.

Apparently, as with the problem with the harmonica animation, you will have to look for the answer yourself. Thank you, LOTUS developers!

If you continue to see my inappropriate behavior - you can immediately ban.

• If this is such a sarcasm, then commendable. If not, it is also commendable)

However, I wrote above — I don’t need someone to leave the business or deal with a problem for me. I can at least understand who will specifically help in the problem, and not “Someone who uses 3DSmax can help you with this. I can't, since we only use Blender”. It's just some kind of call for a transition to Blender and 100% reminiscent of the situation with the harmonica animation.

Well, I would understand that the problem was not known specifically, but I described above in post number 9. And based on the video lessons, I saw that we, as users of LOTUS, do not know how to solve this problem. Me and angry that about 3D Max in the articles are not mentioned anywhere. If, of course, the addition or addition of an article is indeed expected - ok, let's wait.

However, it’s impossible to say that I’m just waiting. Yesterday I wrote to the Autodesk forum and so far no one has answered. Now I will try to contact the authors of the plugins.

• karadamir, although it might be frustrating, please mind, that this is not a bug in OUR software!

It seems to be either a bug or an erroneous handling of 3DS Max. And we neither can nor want to tell you how you have to use 3DS Max. That's not our job.

We provide that 3DS Max is supported - which was proved by Julian and also by you! And we give you very wide support for our tools and in addition for Blender, too, although you can find many information sources in the web concerning Blender.

Last but not least, we even thought about potential problems while exporting to x3d in general and how they will be solved in Blender. Now it's your turn to inform yourself about such problems and how they will be handled in 3DS Max!

That being said, it is quite impertinent to set up deadlines for us to help you with 3DS Max and to ignore quite any suggestion to moderate yourself.

• karadamir, although it might be frustrating, please mind, that this is not a bug in OUR software!

So I wrote that the problem is in NORMALS. After all, the second export option works fine. I'm talking about the fact that from 3D Max to Blender and from Blender to LOTUS. And here I agree with Florian that he indicated about the "normal". Unfortunately, no one hears me that the problem has been found. But addressing the issue ...

And we neither can nor want to tell you how you have to use 3DS Max. That's not our job.

I understand correctly that this is a message that you understand yourself?

It seems to be either a bug or an erroneous handling of 3DS Max.

And I wonder what I have to do to make it work properly. But there are no answers anywhere. Of course, I hope that the authors of the plugin themselves will answer either on the Autodesk forum. But hope is not. And if there is no hope, then this leads to a drop in interest in this project.

We provide that 3DS Max is supported - which was proved by Julian and also by you!

Here I do not argue, but still it is very, very small. And besides, how can it be that everything works correctly for Julian? Why can't I write an article to solve the problem? What are you afraid of?

And we give you very wide support for our tools and in addition for Blender, too, although you can find many information sources in the web concerning Blender.

There are no questions with this. Specifically, the problem is that users with 3D Max are in the state "Everyone is fighting with himself in the blind" ... And it is a little insulting that so.

Last but not least, we even thought about potential problems while exporting to x3d in general and how they will be solved in Blender. Now it's your turn to inform yourself about such problems and how they will be handled in 3DS Max!

But I personally do not understand the other. When creating a simulator and doing support for the game under Blender and under 3D Max, in fact, users with 3D Max were not taken into account. And it turns out that now only I have to solve this problem myself. That is all dropped on me ...

Yes, you do not know 3D Max, but the team still needs a person who knows 3D Max. Or is this man Julian?

That being said, it is quite impertinent to set up deadlines for us to help you with 3DS Max

And what's the point to continue to do their work, if the problem is not solved? I said that if this problem is not solved, then what is the point of doing my work further, if they have problems that cannot be solved?

Yes, maybe it was necessary to wait. But who to wait and who will answer this question?

The question is, is it possible, you, as the developers of LOTUS, to contact the authors of the plugin? Judging by the contacts - they are also from Germany. Can you at least do it?

• karadamir, take a deep breath. I understand your frustration. But please remember you are dealing with people here. The problem will not be solved faster by emotions. Instead, please, deep breath.

It is very annoying to run into these issues but that is no reason to be insulting or degrading to others. You have already found another way to look at the problem, by contacting the plugin authors. If you supply them with the differences in the .x3d files that are created they might be able to help.