Centering an object in Content Tool

• Moin everyone,

I'm trying to create some street lamps from Copenhagen, and so far it's been without major issues.

Until now. I'm creating every lamp in the same Blender file, which means only one of the lamp's origin points is actually centered (the one I constructed first). See the Blender screenshot.

I want to import the brown lamp, and I click "Ja" to flat shading and then "Nein" to the object to be centered on the object center (have tried "Yes" here, but that just screws up the scale dimensions).

But as seen on the Content Tool screenshot, the lamp is way off-center relative to the center of the Content Editor, as demonstrated by the lamp source, which is centered. This makes placing the lamp in the Map Editor very weird, since the object is way off the mouse cursor when I'm moving it around.

How do I fix this? Do I need to move the Blender origin point around, or is there a setting somewhere?

Antworten auf Deutsch sind ebenfalls willkommen. Ich verstehe sehr viel Deutsch, aber kann mich selbst nicht so gut schreiben oder formulieren. :)

- Thor

• Janine

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet
  • Hi,

I will show the solution first and then we try to replicate it to your example:

This screen shows, that the lamp I've selected has its own pivot point, as every other object in this blender file has. But the pivot point is not at the center of this scene. So I guess you have to center the lamp in edit mode and then switch to object mode for moving the whole object with its pivot point. In the Content Tool you have to click on yes, when this message shows up:

the object to be centered on the object center

This shouldn't screw the scale dimension. Did you change the scale settings of the object in object mode? If yes, you have to change the values back to (1;1;1) and scale the object in edit mode.

Greets

• Hm. Normally selecting "Yes" to centering the object should do the trick if its origin is placed correctly. Which it is. Maybe try selecting the object before exporting it, hit 'Ctrl+A' and choose "Rotation and Scale". That might help.

But why do you want your object to be flat shaded? I imagine it is a smooth rounded street light in reality, or am I wrong with that? If not, you might want to try using the "Smooth"-button in Blender which makes the whole model appear, well, smooth, as it says, add the edge-split-modifier which resharpens the really sharp edges, and finally choose "No" to flat-shading at the import. With this technique you might even be able to lose maybe half of the polygons whilst even improving the appearance of the lamp.

Edit: Samma Florian. Aufn Sonntag um zehn dachte ich, ich hätte ein bisschen Ruhe hier. Nüscht is. Nevertheless: 'Strg+A' and "Apply Rotation and Scale" does exactly what Florian proposes by changing the values of scale and rotation back to 1, but without changing the appearance of the mesh itself. No rescale in edit mode necessary.

• Folks,

I can confirm, that Ctrl+A did the trick! Thank you so much!

As for flat shading, one part of me thought that it would help reduce the geometry and therefore improve performance, but I may be very wrong. ^^

Attached are some photos of the completed lamp in the tool. IRL, the oldest ones of this type are driven by Na-vapor bulbs. And with a little experimentation, I even solved another problem: making the glass plate have a yellow tint during night. I basically made an Na-yellow night texture and multiplied it with the "reflector"-texture, put in a light source set to only shine downwards. However, now during daytime, there's basically a "sky-coloured" hole in the reflector. From the material settings, what do I need to change to still preserve the way it looks at nighttime?`

TL;DR: I want the lamp to have the reflector texture visible during daytime, while at nighttime, both the reflector and yellow nighttexture must be visible, while the light source must shine through as well.

Viele Grüße aus Dänemark,

- Thor

• As for flat shading, one part of me thought that it would help reduce the geometry and therefore improve performance,

Well, with flat shading you do not need to split sharp edges (i.e. create duplicates of edges shared by multiple faces, which is what the Edge Split Modifier does in Blender) because all edges are interpreted as sharp. But the number of faces is the same and those additional edges won't have such an impact on performance if any at all.

• Neu erstellte Beiträge unterliegen der Moderation und werden erst sichtbar, wenn sie durch einen Moderator geprüft und freigeschaltet wurden.

Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 60 Tage zurück. Das Thema ist womöglich bereits veraltet. Bitte erstellen Sie ggf. ein neues Thema.

Maximale Anzahl an Dateianhängen: 5
    Maximale Dateigröße: 500 kB
    Erlaubte Dateiendungen: bmp, cfg, ini, jpeg, jpg, lct, ldl, llg, lob, log, lpmtl, lptmt, ltx, pas, pdf, png, railtrack, rar, txt, veh, wav