Fault of map editor or my fault?

• My grandfather told me a joke about it. If i need 16 Hours to make this road, i will need 10 years to finish the map. Its funny....isn't it?

• My grandfather told me a joke about it. If i need 16 Hours to make this road, i will need 10 years to finish the map. Its funny....isn't it?

I'm quite sure, your grandfather said something like "If you need 16 hours to build this road, the way you are building this road is horribly wrong." Your grandfather seem like a wise person to me.

Greets

• Nagyapám egy viccet mesélt nekem róla. Ha 16 órára van szükségem ezen az úton, 10 évre lesz szükségem a térkép készítéséhez. Vicces .... nem igaz?

Nagyon biztos vagyok benne, hogy a nagyapád azt mondta, hogy "Ha 16 órára van szüksége az út felépítéséhez, az az út, amit építesz, borzasztóan rossz." A nagyapád bölcs embernek tűnik számomra.

Greets

You know good work takes time, but sometimes it takes extra time ;) (Like in Lotus)

• You know good work takes time, but sometimes it takes extra time ;) (Like in Lotus)

If you knew how to work with splines and polygons, it would not take that long. So maybe invest your time in studying the map editor, instead of blaming the developers? ?/ Let's do quick math: 10 hours of watching or reading tutorials and 1 hour of building the roads is 11 hours in total. Right?

Beside that shitty sarcasm: The roads you created on your map have tons of errors. I have no clue, what you did there. The only thing I know is, that this is not how it works. If you have questions about that topic, feel free to ask. IMHO it is a shame, that you did not question the way you are making roads, while taking that much time.

Greets

• it's not that hard to understand editor. it took me hour and a half to understand the editor and 2 hours to read what command does for what and looking at tutorials. And you should join Florian's stream on twitch too. I learned a lot from his streams since i learn really fast while watching someone else do things :)

• sziriusz12: Why not used my 2.5 meters wide road splines?

The typical Hungarian road wide is 2.5-3.2 meters. If you write me, in the future I can make another versions of my splines(if I see well, you use my spline packs).

• You should use splines as roads, and only make the interceptions out of polygons. Also there's some big issue how you use the polygon settings, since it shouldn't look like that (jeez, it's got more holes than a big chunk of cheese).

If one can use the editor correctly, such a simple road crossing should be done in less then an hour (assuming it's flat).

• You should use splines as roads, and only make the interceptions out of polygons. Also there's some big issue how you use the polygon settings, since it shouldn't look like that (jeez, it's got more holes than a big chunk of cheese).

If one can use the editor correctly, such a simple road crossing should be done in less then an hour (assuming it's flat).

You mean that the cross contruction?

sziriusz12: Why not used my 2.5 meters wide road splines?

The typical Hungarian road wide is 2.5-3.2 meters. If you write me, in the future I can make another versions of my splines(if I see well, you use my spline packs).

I scaled the road there and those place the road wide is 3.5 meters. In this month I will add 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 meters wide version of those texture road(if my computer can be repeared...)

• You should use splines as roads

What is the benefit on doing this? Maybe on a long distance road outside the town, but elsewhere there should be used polygons. ?/

You mean that the cross contruction?

Especially the road splines, that overlap each other, are nonsense. Why would you do this? =O

• You mean that the cross contruction?

Especially the road splines, that overlap each other, are nonsense. Why would you do this? =O

I know it is terrible. So this will be good way? How ai will come in the splines/roads? How can we will set in Editor?

• You should use splines as roads

What is the benefit on doing this? Maybe on a long distance road outside the town, but elsewhere there should be used polygons. ?/

Excuse me but I can't agree with it. I am also using my own road splines to make even shorter streets, because it's much easier to add abbrasion and markers later on.

And also, making a small elevation with polys are terrifying, while working with splines is a way easier method.

Of course I don't overlap them, but in smaller intersections I use the spline for the main road and then expand with polys.

• Especially the road splines, that overlap each other, are nonsense. Why would you do this? =O

I know it is terrible. So this will be good way? How ai will come in the splines/roads? How can we will set in Editor?

This is definitely a better way.

I'm in doubt, that the spline will help you in any case for placing ai paths.

Excuse me but I can't agree with it. I am also using my own road splines to make even shorter streets, because it's much easier to add abbrasion and markers later on.

And also, making a small elevation with polys are terrifying, while working with splines is a way easier method.

Of course I don't overlap them, but in smaller intersections I use the spline for the main road and then expand with polys.

I recently had an argument with someone, who proclaimed a scrappy solution as an easier way. The result of this conversation was, that we want the Map Editor used as intended. And the intention is to use a lot of polygons to create an unique looking scenery. If you found an other way to build maps, it is fine. But of course, it is our aim, that users learn the functions of the Map Editor as intended. You can compare this with source code. The scrappy one may work too, but at the time you want to debug it, your are screwed. I guess, I will do a specific tutorial video about the Map Editor soon. The things you mentioned, like abrasion and markers also as elevations, work like a charm when using polygons. But that might be to much to write in this case.

I guess this discussion gets cut from the map thread. :saint:

Greets

• No offense, but I'd really like to see you or anyone from the staff doing a mountain road using only polygons. Even on flat areas using splines in a decent way is much more easier - I have no clue why it had benefits if I used distinct road curb splines AND polygons instead of using only one single spline. If the code behind the map editor is not that garbage, then it shouldn't make a difference

(on the other hand the rail ties DO CAUSE a problem, since God knows why every spline is formed into the terrain in LOTUS, and that means using even a tie of 10-15 polygons can cause plus gigabytes of harddrive space on a bigger map, not speaking about the default ones which have way more polygons...)

Also, what do you mean by debugging? In OMSI it was possible to open tile files with a single text editor, and look for errorous parts (like I don't know, kilometre long splines placed -200m deep...etc). But as I see all the tile files are coded, so can you tell us how is it possible to debug so?

• No offense, but I'd really like to see you or anyone from the staff doing a mountain road using only polygons.

No need for that, there is a good example: Twinaue

I have no clue why it had benefits if I used distinct road curb splines AND polygons instead of using only one single spline.

Does every road in Hungary looks like the same? No road bumps? No car parkings?

If the code behind the map editor is not that garbage, then it shouldn't make a difference

Just because of this stupid sentence, I won't answer this question at all.

(on the other hand the rail ties DO CAUSE a problem, since God knows why every spline is formed into the terrain in LOTUS, and that means using even a tie of 10-15 polygons can cause plus gigabytes of harddrive space on a bigger map, not speaking about the default ones which have way more polygons...)

?/

Also, what do you mean by debugging? In OMSI it was possible to open tile files with a single text editor, and look for errorous parts (like I don't know, kilometre long splines placed -200m deep...etc). But as I see all the tile files are coded, so can you tell us how is it possible to debug so?

It is not possible to debug any container. It was just a comparison.

• I have no clue why it had benefits if I used distinct road curb splines AND polygons instead of using only one single spline.

Does every road in Hungary looks like the same? No road bumps? No car parkings?

If the code behind the map editor is not that garbage, then it shouldn't make a difference

Just because of this stupid sentence, I won't answer this question at all

No, not all the roads look the same. But there are hundreds and hundreds meter of roads where it is (on one place, in one street for example). Also, please tell me how the road isn't the same on all the pictures I can see in the forum. In the official maps, in the DLC, in the thread you posted...etc. All of them use mostly ONE road texture as polygon. Putting one patch texture around a kilometer doesn't make the roads unique.

On the second question: what I meant is that a spline just simply shouldn't make that much more polygons on the map than the buggy polygon tool itself. Unless there are some pretty huge problems with the program. But sure, getting mad solves problems like the huge unoptimalization of terrain reservations (like you place a kilometre of track, and square-kilometres of DEM terrain is packaged to the map, taking up hundreds of MBs) or the into-terrain saved splines.

• Easier option than making an optimized game..

Please share your great ideas, where we can optimize the game. I'm curious.

No, not all the roads look the same. But there are hundreds and hundreds meter of roads where it is (on one place, in one street for example). Also, please tell me how the road isn't the same on all the pictures I can see in the forum. In the official maps, in the DLC, in the thread you posted...etc. All of them use mostly ONE road texture as polygon. Putting one patch texture around a kilometer doesn't make the roads unique.

It is not the texture, it is the shape of the road. Is it that hard to understand? ?/

On the second question: what I meant is that a spline just simply shouldn't make that much more polygons on the map than the buggy polygon tool itself. Unless there are some pretty huge problems with the program. But sure, getting mad solves problems like the huge unoptimalization of terrain reservations (like you place a kilometre of track, and square-kilometres of DEM terrain is packaged to the map, taking up hundreds of MBs) or the into-terrain saved splines.

The polygon tool is buggy? Please tell me more. If you got issues, then tell us, otherwise they don't get fixed. Besides that there is no other point in this discussion anymore. 9(

Greets

• Neu erstellte Beiträge unterliegen der Moderation und werden erst sichtbar, wenn sie durch einen Moderator geprüft und freigeschaltet wurden.

Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 60 Tage zurück. Das Thema ist womöglich bereits veraltet. Bitte erstellen Sie ggf. ein neues Thema.

Maximale Anzahl an Dateianhängen: 5
    Maximale Dateigröße: 500 kB
    Erlaubte Dateiendungen: bmp, cfg, ini, jpeg, jpg, lct, ldl, llg, lob, log, lpmtl, lptmt, ltx, pas, pdf, png, railtrack, rar, txt, veh, wav