Working cable couplings (proof of concept)

• I've been thinking about working (I mean moving) cables between cars for a long time in LOTUS (which doesn't just hang into the other car nor is a self-coupled thing).

Here's the vehicle I cleary need this thing to happen:

Since this feature is not supported, I had to try a few tricks before I figured out something that would work, here's a video about it:

Of course the coupling models use mesh animations, otherwise it would not work - here's a few pictures about them with a gradiently coloured dummy texture:

First I was try to calculate from the radius of the rails, but that's not enough, because of the jumping of the cars.

What I did was this: I created an animation for the couplings - one for the front and one for the rear one. Since this vehicle has a non-moving coupling, I could use this animation (with "coupling" animation type) for this purpose - and for that I actually didn't give values for the rear coupling points but rather a bit higher, so the animations would work a bit more fluently. Then I made different animations for the different couplings, with X and Y coordinate translations, where I did calculate values from the radius of the rails, here's an example:

Code
    1. halfDegreeOfCouplingRot_0 := invradius_0_0 * 5.71;
    2. anim_couplingFront_mainL_L_y := 2 * Tan(halfDegreeOfCouplingRot_0);
    3. anim_couplingFront_mainL_L_x := anim_couplingFront_mainL_L_y * Sin(halfDegreeOfCouplingRot_0);

Yes, I did simplify the mathematical formulas for the sake of simplicity very much, please don't care about that :D

Of course I had to fine-tune the animations so they would not collapse into each other (though it still lacks a few models and the cover plates are not animated yet). You can see the results in the video.

• Neu erstellte Beiträge unterliegen der Moderation und werden erst sichtbar, wenn sie durch einen Moderator geprüft und freigeschaltet wurden.

Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 60 Tage zurück. Das Thema ist womöglich bereits veraltet. Bitte erstellen Sie ggf. ein neues Thema.

Maximale Anzahl an Dateianhängen: 5
    Maximale Dateigröße: 500 kB
    Erlaubte Dateiendungen: bmp, cfg, ini, jpeg, jpg, lct, ldl, llg, lob, log, lpmtl, lptmt, ltx, pas, pdf, png, railtrack, rar, txt, veh, wav