Posts by Bzmot332

I was not talking about making all roads the same, like the number of lines, sidewalks, curbs...etc. What I'm talking about is that between road crossings it's easier to use splines. If you have a road for example which is a bit complex (two sidewalks on each side, a separated grassy part between the roads, I don't know), and the road is almost the same for kilometres long (except a few parts), then what do you do? Place dozens of curbs and make everything out of polygons, or simply model one road, use it almost everywhere, and only do the needed parts separately ? That's what I'm talking about.

The polygon tool itself is not buggy, actually I like it a lot (a tool like that would have been awesome in OMSI). But building complex roads on slopes or hills is not that pleasant (with polygons) and about 99% of the map builders experience a lot of holes on their map. Maybe it's not the editor's fault, more like the lack of documentation, if almost everyone do it wrong.

I have no clue why it had benefits if I used distinct road curb splines AND polygons instead of using only one single spline.

Does every road in Hungary looks like the same? No road bumps? No car parkings?

If the code behind the map editor is not that garbage, then it shouldn't make a difference

Just because of this stupid sentence, I won't answer this question at all

No, not all the roads look the same. But there are hundreds and hundreds meter of roads where it is (on one place, in one street for example). Also, please tell me how the road isn't the same on all the pictures I can see in the forum. In the official maps, in the DLC, in the thread you posted...etc. All of them use mostly ONE road texture as polygon. Putting one patch texture around a kilometer doesn't make the roads unique.

On the second question: what I meant is that a spline just simply shouldn't make that much more polygons on the map than the buggy polygon tool itself. Unless there are some pretty huge problems with the program. But sure, getting mad solves problems like the huge unoptimalization of terrain reservations (like you place a kilometre of track, and square-kilometres of DEM terrain is packaged to the map, taking up hundreds of MBs) or the into-terrain saved splines.

No offense, but I'd really like to see you or anyone from the staff doing a mountain road using only polygons. Even on flat areas using splines in a decent way is much more easier - I have no clue why it had benefits if I used distinct road curb splines AND polygons instead of using only one single spline. If the code behind the map editor is not that garbage, then it shouldn't make a difference

(on the other hand the rail ties DO CAUSE a problem, since God knows why every spline is formed into the terrain in LOTUS, and that means using even a tie of 10-15 polygons can cause plus gigabytes of harddrive space on a bigger map, not speaking about the default ones which have way more polygons...)

Also, what do you mean by debugging? In OMSI it was possible to open tile files with a single text editor, and look for errorous parts (like I don't know, kilometre long splines placed -200m deep...etc). But as I see all the tile files are coded, so can you tell us how is it possible to debug so?

You should use splines as roads, and only make the interceptions out of polygons. Also there's some big issue how you use the polygon settings, since it shouldn't look like that (jeez, it's got more holes than a big chunk of cheese).

If one can use the editor correctly, such a simple road crossing should be done in less then an hour (assuming it's flat).

Maybe the material settings are wrong (in decent modeling softwares you can alter the material settings of different textures, like ambient lighting and so on). Or maybe the texture itself is a bit darker. Also in the Content Tool there's a value that defines the brightness of the model (though its default value is 1 and is usually not altered).

Marcel Kuhnt

Is it possible, to debug a map in a way, that you start to delete tile files one-by-one (like in OMSI) to find where the error is? And if you find it, you just have to rebuild that particular tile. Or is there any way for cases like that? Besides backuping everything everyday, which doesn't really help in this case.

1. Please describe as detailed as possible what you did and which problem that leads to.

When I open the Content Tool, it starts up, even connects to the server. But if I click on the "Objects and vehicles" button, it freezes. It doesn't react to anything (closing, clicking on other elements).

On the other hand, the standalone texture part is working.

I wanted to print the log informations, but it seems like the LOTUS itself doesn't work either. It starts loading, but it stops at the "Initializing scene..." point.

In the steam I checked the local files, it doesn't give any errors about it.

2. Please post your logfile and if possible attach your debug logfile, as well, which have been created during the problem occured.

logfile_contenttool.txt

logfile.txt

LOTUSdirectory.txt

(Logfile, Content tool logfile, directory file).

3. If it is a performance or another possibly hardware-related problem, please post your system information. Those are:

• Windows 7 64bit
    • Processor clock rate: 3.2GHz
    • Processor cores: 4
    • RAM: 16GB
    • Type of hard drive (HDD)
    • Desktop computer
    • nVidia GTX960
    • 4GB VRAM
    • GPU clock rate
    • OpenGL version (see LOTUS logfile) -> doesn't get to it

EDIT:
    After restarting the computer it looks like everything works just fine. Besides possible software/hardwere problems with my computer, what else could cause such a problem?

I actually chose a very simple and yet very painful way: I disabled the double faces in Deep Exploration and then polygon-by-polygon I separated the faulty parts, then inverted the faces. It's now OK, but it's good to know, that there are more efficient ways for that ;)

When I import specific x3d files, I get this error in the Content Tool:

The model itself is fine, in different modeling editors.

This problem occured in the past too, but back then I could workaround it by separating the model furthermore. But now even if I slice it up it's still faulty. The model is 2460 polygons. It doesn't matter if I import it with or without flat shading. The x3d file is 196kB.

As I see, the missing faces are on the other side, but the model is OK in more modeling softwares (Deep Exploration, Blender, even in SketchUp...). Is there any method or setting solving this, bseides building the whole model again, hoping that this time the CT doesn't give error?

Thank you very much for the fast respond!

Only for curiosity, will there be any variable about the catenary voltage in the future? What I mean is something that we could set the voltage on different tracks in the map editor (maybe added to the catenary spline itself, so the trams, U-bahn, railways...etc wouldn't have the same voltage) and with this variable in the vehicle we could use this data later on (with power calculations, ligth flickering...etc).

Hi all/devs!

I'm thinking about starting an underground railway map but I have a few concerns about it. I know that tunnels are not supported yet (levels below zero), but I'm curious if there's any suggested way to start building a metro car as well as the rails and splines (third rail eg.).

That's more likely a question to the game developers: will there be a new kind of pantograph in the content tool (pantograph shoes on each side of the train...etc) as well as the third rail as a "catenary" spline? Should I just leave the pantographs for later and complete the scripts later when these features are implemented, or should I make, I don't know, 4 pantographs on the vehicle at the level of the "pantograph shoes" and make "catenary" splines at that level?

The axis of the animation of the steering should be only the z axis shouldn't it? I mean it only rotates in one direction (for the rotation of the wheel you have the other animation with the x-axle spinning). Also I don't really think you need the +-45 degrees min and maximum values for the axle, just leave it by default.

I don't think at the moment there's any trigger for that. I mean there should be a trigger FROM the map TO THE vehicle (the opposite direction would be the RC controller switches). I think it will be added later. Just like different sounds on different kinds of rails...etc.

Though it's not in the game itself, the developer of the vehicles can add it by themselves. E.g I added in in my trams (Ezres, M II) and it works just fine. Though it'd be better if it was an already built in feature.

If you want to make the axles rotate, you have to add animations to it (well, technically you have to add animations to everything which you want to move, rotate...etc).

First you have to add all of the models to the "main" animation (Animations on the left menu), otherwise the model won't bank in curves...etc. After that you have to add animations - but before that make sure to select the main or the correct "higher order or parent" animation, otherwise strange things will happen (badly moving parts, etc).

What do you mean by "regular decending"? A constant rate of descending?

You can modify the parameters of the splines/tracks in which you can set the gradient at the beginning and at the end. Also if you rigth click on it and click on "constant gradient", it will convert it so the gradient is the same at the terminals of the spline (note that in this case there will be a bump at the connections with other splines).