Budapest Tram Line 59-REAL

• Hi,

I started to make the Budapest's tram line 59.

I want to ask that, how can I resorve tiles in the real planet? And Can I resorve 2 areas in the LOTUS World?(one real and one fictional)

Anyway, I want to finish this project about 2020's summer.

After, I want to show some finished objects:

• 1. Use a normal image host site, not mega.cz, and try to use embedded images.

2. It's reserve, not resorve.

3. You can't reserve tiles in the real world Planet. You can reserve the needed tiles in the Fictional world, and later, as you are finishing the map, LOTUS team can move it to the "Real" Planet. But I would rather recommend to build a Test map first, as the Line 59 is a pretty fancy line with a plenty of steep hills, etc. But keep up the working!

P.S.: Amúgy magyar vagyok, de a fórumon minimum, hogy angolul írom le a tanácsokat.

• Nice plan. Also nice to see a map were someone is making the objects firts.

Interesting choice, using (s)ketchup for making your objects.

Is that the reason why the small green building thing you show in the editor has 4 different textures?

Currently developing:

:flag_net: - RVV1990 - 40%

:flag_net: - RVV1966 Addon - 0%

• 1. Use a normal image host site, not mega.cz, and try to use embedded images.

2. It's reserve, not resorve.

3. You can't reserve tiles in the real world Planet. You can reserve the needed tiles in the Fictional world, and later, as you are finishing the map, LOTUS team can move it to the "Real" Planet. But I would rather recommend to build a Test map first, as the Line 59 is a pretty fancy line with a plenty of steep hills, etc. But keep up the working!

P.S.: Amúgy magyar vagyok, de a fórumon minimum, hogy angolul írom le a tanácsokat.

1. Ok, Which site do you recommend? kepfeltoltes.eu is good for them?

2. Thank you, I will repair my mistake.

3. Ok. Thank you for your answer. :) It is good, but 1-1,5 weaks ago somebody reserved the Széll Kálmán squere and South Trainstation... So I can't build for this places... No problem, if I can't solve this problems I will build all line, just I will skip to this 2 tram stops...

Nice plan. Also nice to see a map were someone is making the objects firts.

Interesting choice, using (s)ketchup for making your objects.

Is that the reason why the small green building thing you show in the editor has 4 different textures?

SketchUp is my best favourite program, because I can make models easily :) Luckily the line 59's objects not difficult, because the most of just a "mine"...

If you thing about the overhead wire support column: The reason is SketchUp haven't treated for a lot of polinoms to texture, so I imported twice for different sizes.

">

Nowadays I have a question for the modelling importing: Is it correct if I import the X3D files from Documents forder? In my LOTUS Library I just saw a extrame big LOTUS.lct (place: E:\Programfájlok (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\LOTUS-Simulator\MyContent\objects )

But the importer program made a lot of files in C:\Users\Gergo\Documents\LOTUS\Export folder. (Before the importing I put the files to C:\Users\Gergo\Documents\LOTUS folder.) Is it good, or I made a mistake?

• I really suggest moving on to a real game oriented moddeling tool. Once you get the hang of for example blender. You will get better and nicer models.

The screen you show now basicly shows THE reason not to use sketchup. There is very limited control how the polygons and textures will behave, this causes models which have a greater effect on performance of any game.

That dome shaped part looks highly unoptimized.

It can be done with sketchup, but that is a lot harder then creating a clean model in blender or 3ds.

Currently developing:

:flag_net: - RVV1990 - 40%

:flag_net: - RVV1966 Addon - 0%

• The only modelling software I've used so far is SketchUp as well. Got really used to it and have done lots of stuff. I am aware that is very limited, I'd also want to do more tbh. Tried blender (okay, without watching tutorials, just to try it out on an intuitive, tiral-and-error basis), but couldn't get familiar with it, no matter how hard I've tried. It provides lots of features, but I couldn't really understand the workflow and use it as intuitively as sketch up.

One thing which I really liked about SkUp was that if you've drawn a line, circle, rectangle etc., you've could snap it to the room axes and could also snap lengths to certain values: start drawing a line, type in a value and the line endpoint will snap to the given length value. Same with angles, circle radius etc. Middle points between nodes of a line were automatically snapped to as well.

However, I couldn't find comparable functions in Blender, maybe did I overlook it? If this snap facillity isn't included in Blender, then I simply can't imagine modelling stuff precisely -_-

Anyway, I've tried using Blender several times, but it always turned out to be too complicated and not intuitive. Didn't have the time and long-term-motivation to force myself digging deeper though <:( Does anybody know good, motivating (and fool-proof ;p) tutorials?

• Learning Blender just with trial-and-error is the wrong approach. It does provide the functionality you mention, but that functionality may not be as visible as in Sketchup (never used that). For example, I often use keyboard shortcuts or just hit space bar and type in the name of the command that I look for (Blender then displays commands as search results). You should watch some tutorials and do some exercises.

• I started to build the Saint John Hospital terminus. I will build firstly the Saint John Hospital - Széll Kálmán squere part, because it is used by 5 lines... :)

Quick hint:

1. Place the terrain subsequents first for correcting it as soon as possible

2. Place the necessary railtrack, tune the terrain to a fine quality.

3. Start placing the polygons, roads, intersetctions.

4. Place the objects

5. Place things with lower priority such as overhead wires, smaller objects, trees, bushes, etc.

Keep in mind that placing the objects first will make the fine-tuning much harder, even a small terrain correction can make things strange...

• 1. I did this and nothing do anything.

2. The terrain went wrong:

http://kepkezelo.com/images/djn3u9n6c28o22xo62zo.png

3. The editor crashed

http://kepkezelo.com/images/6jxva70zsfveksw84s2m.png

You are right. The spline start is important, but he sceneryobject are just secondly in the list. So tomorrow, I will start the spline creation :)

• I'm sorry, but why are you building a real map first, when you don't even understand how to do a lot of basic stuff in the editor?

Not to kill your spirit, but you would better off learning how to use the editor in the first place, by building a smaller fictional map. I think we have seen enough low quality "real" OMSI maps in the Hungarian community, no need to continue this trend with LOTUS.

Also, sketchup models = bad performance. I suggest you to learn Blender, or 3DS Max.

Take your time, quality over quantity.

• Oh come on, sketch up models are not all that bad :D

I don't think it really depends on the program itself. I mean it doesn't help even a little, if you use the best program in the world, and then you use 20+ textures for one single building. Other way around, you can build good looking, but not that bad models with SU - of course building a bigger and more complex model is harder and not that optimalizied, but for building and simple street objects, I think it's not that bad.

• I build a fictional map with the Tram 59's objects and its modification for the learn to how can I use the LOTUS Editor. This pictures are just taken for the testing and showing, because I interested in your opinion, so if I have a mistake, and you see that, I can repair it fastly :)

It is not final version of Saint John Hospital, because I want to rebuild this, if I took the splines and spline crossings. But firstly I want to do the sceneryobject, because I don't want to work twice with splines(for is example How to will work ai traffic in LOTUS?)

Blender is good modelling program, bit I have some problems with the Blender's Texturing system. You are right, SketchUp is bed for complex modells(I saw it how many polygons uses for a simple half cycle...)

But luckily, the 59's lines have got a lot of simpli mine building, so SketcUp is well for the modelling in this country :)

• I don't know. I will test all solutions, but I see that, this position bad for import. It is hard to create splines, if I haven't seen tutorial videos on Youtube, just I have read the German spline creator tutorial, so I have imported to sidewalk's side ...

• Wouldn't it be better to publish packages with more objects in it?

I mean it'll be pretty hard to download every needed package for a map, if it needs 100+ objects, and all of them is a stand alone package in the workshop.

Like, a tram wiring pack, with many types of poles (MÁV and BKV like grey and green poles, with 0, 1 or 2 attach poles), signals (isolated wire warning and so on), etc. Then, a building pack, another pack with I don't know, tracks. So hierarchically, and not standalone objects.

Edit: Forget what I wrote. A few days earlier this was the state, but as I see you modified your packages just the way I said now.

• Thank you for sharing your work :)

But I think your building needs some rework in the texture area - there are some cutted vehicles in front of them ;)

Tomorrow, I will make some texture photos, so I will retexture some objects :)