.jpg or .png texture format support?

• Have a good day!

I would like to ask one thing. Will LOTUS support textures in either .png or .jpg format in the future? One of my friends has modeled two subway sets where he spent X-hundred hours of creation. Unfortunately, they started to create them before the release of EA and before publishing that LOTUS supports .bmp and .dds texture formats. :(

I don't know how difficult it is to add support for other texture formats. I don't know how time consuming it is. On the other hand, re-texturing the two sets, each with a five-carriage and a few thousand textures, would work for the next X-tens of hours ... ?(

As I say, I don't know how hard it would be. But it would help us a lot. (::)

But I won't give anything for asking. (Except money I pay for internet and electricity ... :))

Thank you for your answer!

• Is it really so hard to retexture? Only mark everything on each texture and just change. Tne dds and bmp textures can be the same as the others

• ...I don't know how difficult it is to add support for other texture formats. I don't know how time consuming it is. On the other hand, re-texturing the two sets, each with a five-carriage and a few thousand textures, would work for the next X-tens of hours...

As I wrote, I don't know how much it would be difficult to edit LOTUS to support at least one of these formats, either .png or .jpg.

And when it comes to retexturing the entire model of both metro trains -> Each car has several hundred textures. There are five cars in one set. One set is simpler, more versatile, it could be shortened and therefore not all three embedded cars would be retextured, one would be enough. The second set is more complicated because the individual components are distributed throughout the set. Thus, there are no identical wagons.

Although some textures are the same, it is still a very time-consuming process. Retexturing both sets would take, as I mentioned above, at least several tens of hours...

Florian:

Thank you for you answer! I dont know, if it will be working for us, because we use Cinema 4D... My friend, But we can test it! I'll suggest it to my friend who modeled the kit and will see it. I hope it will work...

• There are plenty of modeling programs, where in the export options, you can set the output texture formats. For example in Deep Exploration (it's a CAD program, and not an adult movie... :D ) it just takes a second, and boom, your model has XY texture format.

BTW I'm sure LOTUS won't support neither of those formats. JPEG is a very bad choice in any modelling stuff, since people usually don't use the lossless version of it. PNG is a bit better, but it doesn't really provide anything extra, compared to BMP and DDS. You'll have to export the models anyways, to x3d.

• If your model has hundreds of textures, then you're doing it wrong and there'll be a lot of performance lost. So maybe optimize and while you're at it, turn them into .dds?

That's exectly correct. An ideal train model (in my opinion) should have less than a dozen textures. 1-2 chassis textures, a few for the inner stuff, maybe another for the details which need more quality (like the cabs), glasses, shadow, and maybe a few colors (e.g. I always have a plain black texture for smaller details, underparts...etc).

• Neu erstellte Beiträge unterliegen der Moderation und werden erst sichtbar, wenn sie durch einen Moderator geprüft und freigeschaltet wurden.

Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 60 Tage zurück. Das Thema ist womöglich bereits veraltet. Bitte erstellen Sie ggf. ein neues Thema.

Maximale Anzahl an Dateianhängen: 5
    Maximale Dateigröße: 500 kB
    Erlaubte Dateiendungen: bmp, cfg, ini, jpeg, jpg, lct, ldl, llg, lob, log, lpmtl, lptmt, ltx, pas, pdf, png, railtrack, rar, txt, veh, wav