map editor idea

• hi i've dabbled a bit in the map editor and i've seen the youtube vids / twitch streams. it's really impressive how powerful the tools are. yet it seems (to me anyway) very complex. lot of time will go into creating just an intersection. and i totally understand why this is. but i really would have liked to see an (additional) simpler way of creating maps (for fictional cities anyway). Something more like a simcity/cities skylines type of thing. for fictional cities this would at least give a nice starting point from where you can start tweaking things to make it look less rubber stamped. (for real city this would not probably work)

i dunno, just a thought.

David

• To be honest, I don't think that would be worth the effort. Creating an intersection is not really hard once you made yourself familiar with the editor. You need to invest a bit of time to get started, so just do it. In general I believe that Marcel will add functionality that makes the editor easier to use but stick with the existing concept.

• There may be a way to do this.

You could create crossings as objects ( with an modelling program like blender, 3dsmax), and use the combination Of modular crossing objects and street splines, like we did in Omsi. Also you can share these "road kit" in the steam workshop.

I would create this set myself to help people out building their cities BUT there is one reason why i will not do this (at least at the moment):

The new Lotus editor has so many improvements over the old methods we used to build our maps. It seems complicated at first, but iam sure, if you get used to it, it will not be that hard. Yes, placing 2 crossing elements and connecting them with a spline will be much quicker than building the crossing in the editor. But maybe then everything may seem very generic. So i think that the quality of a map can be higher if you not use these generic objects by now.

Iam sure that you will find road objects in the workshop soon. And this could be the alternative for everyone who is not willing to build their own crossings in the editor. But i hope that this will not be seen as a standard method for the lazy ones, and will be used for fictional maps only - cause it will be boring to find out that every crossing or junction on a map is the same, especially when it is so easy to build these crossings pretty accurate in the editor.

• I haven't played a lot with the map editor.

But I think there should be a possibility (made) to copy/paste parts. Then you can easily copy a crossings and parts of them.

Currently developing:

:flag_net: - RVV1990 - 40%

:flag_net: - RVV1966 Addon - 0%

• And why would tha tbe a problem. Makign everything too restrictive will make people not enjoy playing. That was the nice thing which made omsi great. There were nearly no restrictions. (Which also gave issues/headaces for copyrights etcetc)

Currently developing:

:flag_net: - RVV1990 - 40%

:flag_net: - RVV1966 Addon - 0%

• Please note that in lotus you have exactly ALL the options and possibilities as before in Omsi - PLUS a ton more. So, where is the problem?

But with all of this new possibilities, the Expectations into the quality of a map will be higher then before. so, "omsi Quality" will not be enough, i guess.

• Neu erstellte Beiträge unterliegen der Moderation und werden erst sichtbar, wenn sie durch einen Moderator geprüft und freigeschaltet wurden.

Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 60 Tage zurück. Das Thema ist womöglich bereits veraltet. Bitte erstellen Sie ggf. ein neues Thema.

Maximale Anzahl an Dateianhängen: 5
    Maximale Dateigröße: 500 kB
    Erlaubte Dateiendungen: bmp, cfg, ini, jpeg, jpg, lct, ldl, llg, lob, log, lpmtl, lptmt, ltx, pas, pdf, png, railtrack, rar, txt, veh, wav